First Night of the Hunger Games

I ran as fast as the speed of light towards the cornucopia. Since I was by far the first person there, I was very selective about what I would grab. After surveying all the items in the large, steel contraption, I picked up an odd piece of metal. It was tube-shaped and there was a small button on the outside. My thumb lightly pressed down on it, only to ignite a red blade of light from one end of the tube. Almost immediately afterwards, another blade came out of the opposite end. I was mesmerized by the humming and glow of the unknown weapon. However, the tributes were sprinting towards me and I knew it was time to kill. I swung the blade at the first weakling I saw. He let out a painful squeal as my weapon sliced his legs off completely. I noticed he was still alive, but I didn’t even bother to finish him off. I would get much more satisfaction if he died a long and painful death. I smiled as I watched him suffer.

The cannon fired about ten minutes later. Everybody else had snatched whatever they could and scurried away like a bunch of pansies. Instead of taking the coward’s way out by hiding, I stayed right by the cornucopia. I was outraged that I only got to kill one person, so I paced quickly back and forth, planning my first attack. Without really noticing, I spent a good hour or so doing this. The day had died and now the full moon was shining bright overhead, so I figured it was time for some sleep. I hadn’t set up a shelter, considering I wasted lots of time thinking about how I would destroy those sissies. Slowly, I laid down on the cool, dry grass and shut my eyes.

However, I could not sleep. It was hours of nonstop tossing and turning. I needed to kill, and I couldn’t go to sleep until I had done so. After I wiped all the grass off of me, I picked up my weapon and set out for the forest. With each step, I knew I was getting closer to making someone else suffer. I marched through the forest, ready to destroy anything in my sight. Suddenly, I found a group of humans. Those weaklings had formed an alliance. I knew this was going be fun because you know what they say, “The more, the merrier!” I crept up cautiously behind them. They didn’t hear a thing…until I ignited my weapon. They spun around in fear. They tried to run away, but my saber had already cut through them like butter, all in one swing. Each one of them dropped to the ground immediately. Three cannons fired right in a row. That made four deaths today, and I was responsible for all of them. I kneeled down to look at one of the dead tributes. They would make a good late-night snack, but before I was about to dig in, the four tributes were shown across the sky. I watched with a great sense of pride and then let out a yawn. Slaughtering people definitely did take a toll on my body. I laid back down and slept happily, dreaming of pain, suffering, and blood.

4 thoughts on “First Night of the Hunger Games

1. This was very creepy, which was your goal, so good job. I don’t think you had any problems with verb consistency. You could maybe use some more sensory details other than just explaining how you feel. Over all great work!

2. Very violent. I think that you could have used a bit more sensory details to tell how you were feeling. I liked how you included the lightsaber. Great job!

3. Wow! I did enjoy your writing. It was quite intense and I haven’t read anything like it before on anyone else’s blog. I do enjoy how you call the other tributes ‘pansies’… it added a bit of humor to the story along with some other comments that you made throughout the post, I have noticed the improvement on your writing with adding more sensory details too, so that was very good. Although it was definitely quite violent, the light saber was a unique touch. You did a great job!